In remembrance of 9/11, we think about that morning where 2,977 people died—at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and in Southwestern Pennsylvania (Simpson, 2013). Surprisingly enough, I haven’t heard much mention of 9/11. I was expecting to hear about it in all of my classes, but on the day of, none of them said anything. It was troubling; so many individuals died, and the aftermath of it continues in all of our lives today. My dad is in the Army and our family gets reminded of 9/11 every time he deploys. Everyone says you don’t forget where you were on the day of 9/11; what stands out the most for me is my dad packing, quickly putting everything necessary in his military duffle bag. My mom was helping him, and my sister and I would just stare, not really understanding what was going on. My dad left that night, his whole company was on standby for emergency deployment to Afghanistan. Not many can understand the fear of potentially losing someone; all I thought about that night was about how I should have said “I love you a lot.” I had said I love you, but I wanted to say much more. It’s funny how you don’t say everything you feel because you’re scared it might come true. So I acted like it was just another day, and I said “I love you dad.” My dad still gets deployed today, so 9/11 is really important to me. It was a tragic event that brought the world together in unity and collaboration (Schieffer, 2010). Ultimately, that is what communities and organizations seek to accomplish, unity and consensus on the needs of society. Those days following 9/11, flags were flown from cars, and drivers would wave or give a thumbs up if you switched lanes. The world hadn’t been brought together that way since WWII (Schieffer, 2010). Yet, people forget, and life goes on. People have forgotten, and it’s unfortunate how crisis is the only factor that brings about this wonderful trait. The only person that mentioned 9/11 with a 45 min. presentation was my Air Force Colonel; it comes to show that America has forgotten, yet while the military continues to be affected by 9/11 and its aftermath, they stand alone in remembrance. Sadly enough, our nation awaits another crisis to be able to set aside our differences and feel united as Americans once again (Schieffer, 2010).
Observation: In Louisiana, at Goodyear, the managers are all white, and the workers are black. Everyone is so nice.
I also forgot about 9/11 this pass week until you said something to me in class. I was surprised with myself because I usually remember everything. I know that the school acknowledges this day with the flags they put in the ground in the 6 pack. I feel as though people haven't forgot about 9/11, I feel that it is still in the back of their minds but some people may not put a lot of emphasis on it now. When devastating things happen in the world we don't forget about it we move forward but we always remember.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised at the lack of attention it got tis year as well.
ReplyDelete