This week we had Shane Whalley speak to our Social Justice class, and I found it very enriching. Shane Whalley is the Education Coordinator of the Gender and Sexuality Center in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement (...wow!). She talked to us about the LGBTQ movement, the language and its relationship with Maslow's Hierarchy of needs.
Interestingly enough, an individual’s sexual orientation and the way they identify themselves isn’t always visible. This got me thinking about having to work in communities and organizations; what is the best way to address someone when you’re unsure of their identity? It varies with every person, it depends on your relationship with them, and their level of comfort. Asking for the individual’s pronouns is something that can be appreciated; Shane gave us a great example at how her personal trainer asked for her pronouns when they first met. Her trainer's efforts in having an open-minded perspective was one that gained appreciation. Our society is socialized to avoid these situations, but many times it is just visibility that is needed--getting noticed and being accepted.
For me, one of the biggest take aways was Whalley’s usage of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs in relation to the LGBTQ movement. As a class, we listed factors that impede or negatively affect the LGBTQ movement. Some of these included media, religion, transgender military, the news, sexual exploitation, homelessness, employment, and violence, among others. We then began to categorize them in the levels we thought they belonged to. Marriage was categorized in the third level, Love and Belonging. As a nation, we have seen a social movement advocating for same-sex marriage rights the most. Nevertheless, this categorized above the many issues in the physiological and security levels. The main issue now is that people funding this movement are on level 3, leaving levels 1 and 2 behind and unaddressed. The point was that we shouldn’t be following the money, we should be following the crisis of need. This allowed me to see the big picture and I noticed this is an issue that affects acceptance in society. While this was solely on the LGBTQ movement, I understand that an important factor in working in a macro level community is addressing every level starting with the physiological needs, then a sense of security, following belonging, self-esteem, and self-actualization. This can be a reason for setbacks, and ineffective teamwork in communities or organizations. Analyzing what people need and ensuring that they are getting those needs is vital to a successful macro-level organization.
Observation: We were doing a planks' competition, and it consisted of four different groups. I noticed a guy tell his group that they better not lose because there were three girls in the other group.
I really enjoyed hearing Shane come and speak with us about the LBGTQ community as well. I feel that everything Shane talked about is very useful to our career as social workers. This talk made me realize that we need to focus on the small things first in order to work out the bigger issue, because we forget about all the other issues that are also affecting us.
ReplyDeleteI got the pleasure of seeing Shane in my UGS class this week, and each time I hear hir speak, I get impassioned and excited to educated myself on LGBTQ struggles and to see the world through a different lens. I think that is exactly what higher education should be like - being exposed to new ideas and having the safe space to try them out and practice. I am thankful for that opportunity and glad we get to talk about it more on our blogs!
ReplyDeleteShane was such an awesome presenter! I've been thinking a lot about the people with the funds being on the 3rd level and those that need the most assistance being on level 1 and left behind causing a schism within the LGBT community. It always hurts to watch a social movement split.
ReplyDelete